*Says Tinubu’s legacy projects transforming S/East infrastructure
WorldStage– Nigeria’s Minister of Works, Chief David Umahi has defended the Federal Government’s borrowing policy, saying loans used for durable infrastructure development would save future generations from repeated reconstruction costs.
Speaking on Thursday during an inspection tour of ongoing federal projects in Ebonyi, particularly along the Calabar–Ebonyi–Benue–Nasarawa–Abuja corridor, he said the concrete roads being constructed are designed to last up to 100 years..
He said the ongoing federal road and bridge projects in Ebonyi and across the South-East reflects the scale of infrastructure development being undertaken by the President Bola Tinubu’s administration.
He said the third legacy project of the President extended from the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway corridor through Ebonyi to Abuja.
According to him, the first section from Ndibe Beach in Afikpo Local Government Area of Ebonyi to the Ebonyi–Benue boundary spans 123 kilometres and was initially designed as a single carriageway but was now being dualised at strategic points.
The minister said the reinforced concrete road, equipped with solar streetlights, costs about N454 billion, adding that the Federal Government had already paid 50 per cent of the contract sum.
The minister further disclosed that Section two of the project, covering 178 kilometres from the Ebonyi–Benue boundary through Benue, Kogi and Nasarawa to Oweto Bridge, is valued at N685 billion.
He said plans were underway to procure a second carriageway to transform the route into a full dual carriage highway.
The former Ebonyi governor commended contractors handling various sections of the projects, including Infiouest, Age-Link and Gerewa, for the pace and quality of work.
He highlighted major interventions such as the Onueke flyover, the dualisation around Akpoha Bridge, hill-cutting at Timber Shade to eliminate dangerous bends and the planned expansion of roads around Amasiri.
“We are confident that many of the projects will be substantially completed between late 2025 and 2026,” Umahi said.
Speaking on the Ndibe beach bridge project, the minister described it as one of the most innovative bridge projects in the South-East.
He explained that the 19-span bridge, with each span measuring about 30 metres, required advanced beam-launching technology due to difficult water currents.
Umahi said he is optimistic that the bridge would be completed by May 2027, despite funding challenges.
On the Amasiri–Okigwe road being executed under the Dangote Tax Credit Scheme, he said the 61-kilometre project, valued N193 billion, would reconnect Ebonyi, Abia and Imo, after years of severe deterioration.
He noted that the sections of the road had previously become impassable due to deep erosion and failed portions before reconstruction commenced.
The minister also defended the Federal Government’s borrowing policy, saying loans used for durable infrastructure development would save future generations from repeated reconstruction costs.
According to him, the concrete roads being constructed are designed to last up to 100 years.
Umahi urged leaders and residents of the South-East to support the Tinubu administration, arguing that no previous government had invested so heavily in infrastructure in the region.
He added that the South-East had become more integrated into national development through major roads, bridges and strategic federal appointments, including the ministry of works.
The minister urged political stakeholders in the region to acknowledge the ongoing projects and support efforts aimed at ensuring their completion.





































































